Latest Posts

Latest Posts

Tuesday 3 August 2010

Serie A Transfer Update : Part 2 (Bonucci, Martinez, Veloso, Eduardo, Cavani)

Leonardo Bonucci (From Bari to Juventus, £12.8m)

Bonucci made his name as recently as 9 months ago when he and Andrea Ranocchia formed a rock solid central-defensive pairing that ultimately secured a mid-table finish for Bari. Ranocchia picked up a mid-season injury but Bonucci went from strength to strength. The 6ft 3in 23-year-old has already been capped twice by Italy and is seen as a long term successor to Nicola Legrottaglie and partner to Giorgio Chiellini.

Jorge Martinez (From Catania to Juventus, £10m)

9 goals in 25 league games least season prompted Juventus to take notice of Martinez who is capable of playing on either wing. He was instrumental in Catania recording their greatest ever Serie A points total though the the 27-year-old is likely to be a bench-warmer behind the likes of Del Piero, Camoranesi and Pepe.

Miguel Veloso (From Sporting to Genoa, £5.4m*)

Alberto Zapater was sent to Sporting as part of this deal which significantly bolsters the strength of Genoa's midfield. Despite his deep-rooted love for Lisbon, Veloso is eager not to become one of football's nearly men and knows he needs to prove himself in a more competitive league. “I feel a little sadness. I am leaving the club that made me, both as a player and as a man, so I feel some sadness,” Veloso said. “Sporting is the club that gave me everything, so had I stayed I would have done so with heart and soul, but as this was not the case, I will try and assert myself in another championship." Veloso is rarely capped (just 14 times) for Portugal despite consistent performances in the Portugese Liga. Asked about the influence fellow Portugese International Eduardo had on his decision to sign for Genoa, Veloso replied "Eduardo? I spoke with him by telephone, but not yet in person. On the day I did my medical I was a little rushed, but on Tuesday I will have the chance to get together with him.”

Eduardo (From Braga to Genoa, £3.7m)

The Portugese no. 1 was bought in as a replacement for Marco Amelia who has gone on loan to Milan for a season after turning down moves to bigger clubs for a guarantee of first team football. Eduardo's signature has been highly sought after since his impressive showing at the recent World Cup as well as his part in Portugal's incredible defensive run.

Edinson Cavani (From Palermo to Naploi, £14.4m)

Another bright light of the World Cup, Cavani has signed a 4-year-deal with Napoli - the first year being a loan with the move being made permanent in the summer of 2011. The Uruguayan bolsters and already fearsome attack which boasts talents like Ezequiel Lavezzi and Fabio Quagliarella. This move is indicative of the genuine Champions League ambitions of Napoli though I fear they are strengthening at the wrong end of the pitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Diasagree? Happy? Disappointed? Tell the world...